WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- The ceremony honoring the culture of Albania will kick off the Heritage Celebration starting on Sunday, June 1, at Kensico Dam Plaza in Valhalla.
The celebration is scheduled for noon-7 p.m. The culture will "come alive through music, dance and activities for all ages" as the first in the annual series of cultural heritage festivals in county parks, according to a press release.
"Enjoy live music and sports activities, including soccer and volleyball. Traditional arts and crafts items will be available for purchase, and there will be delicious Albanian foods and beverages for sale," representatives said in the release.
The festival will be held rain or shine. All festivals are sponsored by Westchester County Parks.
The other heritage festivals in the series are as follows:
- Asian-American, June 14, noon-6 p.m., Kensico Dam Plaza, Valhalla
- African-American, June 22, noon-7 p.m., Kensico Dam Plaza, Valhalla
- Irish-American, June 29, noon-6 p.m., Ridge Road Park, Hartsdale
- Polish, July13, noon-6 p.m., Kensico Dam Plaza, Valhalla
- Hispanic, July 20, noon-7 p.m., Kensico Dam Plaza, Valhalla
- Italian, July 27, 11 a.m.-7 p.m., Kensico Dam Plaza, Valhalla
- Indian, Aug. 3, 12:30-6:30 p.m., Kensico Dam Plaza, Valhalla
- Jewish Music Festival, Aug. 17, noon-6 p.m., Kensico Dam Plaza, Valhalla
Residents are advised that from June 1-22, the Bronx River Parkway will be closed for Bicycle Sundays from 10 a.-2 p.m. between Scarsdale Road in Yonkers and the Westchester County Center in White Plains.
For more information and directions to the parks, call 864-PARK or go to
the Westchester County Parks website.