EASTCHESTER, N.Y. -- In celebration of the town's 350th anniversary celebration, the Eastchester Historical Society hosted a Victorian-style tea party at its headquarters, the historic 1835 Marble Schoolhouse on Saturday, June 28.
Party guests enjoyed traditional tea fare -- including a variety of finger sandwiches, cookies, cakes, tea and pink lemonade.
Built from Tuckahoe Marble -- a name that refers geologically to a dolomite mineral vein -- the Greek Revival-style schoolhouse was moved to its current location on California Road in 1869.
In addition to the schoolhouse, Tuckahoe Marble was used to construct many historic monuments and public buildings throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, including Federal Hall in lower Manhattan and the New York Public Library.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 2005, the Marble Schoolhouse achieved local landmark status in 1994.
For more information about the town of Eastchester’s 350th anniversary, visit www.eastchester350.org.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.