Eastchester History Group Hosts Tea Party At Schoolhouse

  • Comment
Eastchester Historical Society President Annemarie Flannery; Anne Hutchinson-Bronxville DAR member Virginia Kathryn Hefti; Margaret Colavita and Loretta Dalton.
Eastchester Historical Society President Annemarie Flannery; Anne Hutchinson-Bronxville DAR member Virginia Kathryn Hefti; Margaret Colavita and Loretta Dalton. Photo Credit: Green Knolls Historical Society & Garden Club
Standing before the 1835 Marble Schoolhouse are Eastchester Historical Society President Annemarie Flannery and Anne Hutchinson-Bronxville Chapter DAR member Virginia Kathryn Hefti.
Standing before the 1835 Marble Schoolhouse are Eastchester Historical Society President Annemarie Flannery and Anne Hutchinson-Bronxville Chapter DAR member Virginia Kathryn Hefti. Photo Credit: Green Knolls Historical Society & Garden Club
Eastchester Historical Society President Annemarie Flannery with Anne Hutchinson-Bronxville Chapter DAR member Virginia Kathryn Hefti.
Eastchester Historical Society President Annemarie Flannery with Anne Hutchinson-Bronxville Chapter DAR member Virginia Kathryn Hefti. Photo Credit: Green Knolls Historical Society & Garden Club
Enjoying afternoon tea are Anne Hutchinson-Bronxville Chapter DAR member Virginia Kathryn Hefti; Loretta Dalton; Margaret Colavita and Eastchester Historical Society President Annemarie Flannery.
Enjoying afternoon tea are Anne Hutchinson-Bronxville Chapter DAR member Virginia Kathryn Hefti; Loretta Dalton; Margaret Colavita and Eastchester Historical Society President Annemarie Flannery. Photo Credit: Green Knolls Historical Society & Garden Club

EASTCHESTER, N.Y. -- In celebration of the town's 350th anniversary celebration, the Eastchester Historical Society hosted a Victorian-style tea party at its headquarters, the historic 1835 Marble Schoolhouse on Saturday, June 28.

Party guests enjoyed traditional tea fare -- including a variety of finger sandwiches, cookies, cakes, tea and pink lemonade.

Built from Tuckahoe Marble -- a name that refers geologically to a dolomite mineral vein -- the Greek Revival-style schoolhouse was moved to its current location on California Road in 1869.

In addition to the schoolhouse, Tuckahoe Marble was used to construct many historic monuments and public buildings throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, including Federal Hall in lower Manhattan and the New York Public Library.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 2005, the Marble Schoolhouse achieved local landmark status in 1994.

For more information about the town of Eastchester’s 350th anniversary, visit www.eastchester350.org.


 

  • Comment

Comments