EASTCHESTER, N.Y. -- The Red Cross has provided a list of 10 tips on weathering the terribly cold weather.
- Wear layers of lightweight clothing, gloves and a hat.
- Bring pets indoors or make sure they have enough shelter and unfrozen water outdoors.
- If using a space heater, be sure to keep it on a hard, level surface and keep anything flammable at least three feet away.
- Make sure to turn off space heaters and make sure fireplace embers are completely out before leaving the room or going to sleep.
- If you are using a fireplace, use a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks or rolling logs.
- Run water, at a low rate or even a drip, to help prevent your pipes from freezing.
- Keep the thermostat at the same temperature day and night so your pipes don't freeze and burst.
- Never use a stove or oven to heat your home.
- Never use a generator inside your home, even in the basement or garage.
- Don't hook a generator up to your home's wiring. Connect the equipment you want to operate directly to the outlets on the generator.
Westchester County families seeking shelter -- or anyone who knows a family in need of shelter -- can call a 24-hour emergency services hotline at 914-955-2099.
Similarly, Eastchester residents experiencing a heat emergency that could result in a dangerous health condition are encouraged to call the Red Cross' Desk Line at 914-961-3464.