EASTCHESTER, N.Y. – Eastchester-based Operation PROM is raising money to help students in the Far Rockaways who were affected by Hurricane Sandy.
The non-profit organization – which provides resources and mentoring to students in need – has joined Crowdrise to launch its “Help Us Throw a Prom” campaign. The program aims to raise enough money to sponsor proms for high schools affected by the super storm.
The Channel View School for Research has been chosen as the first school Operation PROM will fund a prom for this year.
Operation PROM will fund the event at the Queens school, as well as provide dresses and tuxedos to students in need. The current goal is to raise $11,000 to fund the first prom. Any additional money will be used to extend the program to other schools in need.
Donations for the May 29 prom can be made directly online. As of Wednesday afternoon, nearly $5,000 had been raised.
Noel D’Allacco, the Operation PROM founder, said this is one way her organization can give back to those most affected by the hurricane.
“Let’s give these kids a great night in what will be a tough year for them and their families,” she said. “So many people want to help the victims in any way they can. Operation PROM can’t necessarily build them new homes, but this is what we do and how we can help.”
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 2 Eastchester Man Pleads Guilty To Child Porn Charges
- 3 Eastchester Dad Looks To Reduce Charges In Car Accident That Killed Three
- 4 Police Shoot, Kill Fugitive Richard Matt; Fellow Escapee David Sweat On Run
- 5 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital