EASTCHESTER, N.Y. – How long does it take you to get to work?
The U.S. Census Bureau released figures from the American Community Survey on Tuesday.
The national survey found the average one-way daily commute for workers throughout the country was 25.5 minutes, with one in four commuters working out of their county. People who commuted by public transportation were more likely to have longer commute times and New York had the highest rate of long commutes.
In Eastchester, the average commuter travels approximately 25.8 minutes each way, nearly matching the national average. In Tuckahoe, the average commute is 23.1 minutes.
"The average travel time for workers who commute by public transportation is higher than that of workers who use other modes," Brian McKenzie, a Census Bureau statistician said in a statement. “For some workers, using transit is a necessity, but others simply choose a longer travel time over sitting in traffic.”
WNYC put together a map of average commuting times throughout the area. How does your commute compare to surrounding areas? Let us know in the comments below.
- 1 Eastchester Father Is Charged In Car Crash That Killed Three
- 2 Eastchester Father, Daughter Facing Charges In Crash That Killed Three Boys
- 3 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 4 Eastchester Police Investigate Series of Home Burglaries
- 5 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Eastchester