WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Residents of Westchester County and across New York State could see their health insurance premiums spike by an average of 13 percent according to capitalnewyork.com.
The request for increase was made by 41 companies and include increases on the six most popular plans on the state's health exchange. Reasons for the increase included: a sicker than anticipated population, rising medical costs and government regulations, captialnewyork.com reported.
Last year, insurers requested a 9.5 percent increase but the average increase approved by the department of financial services was only about 4.5 percent, capitalnewyork.com said.
- 1 Westchester Schools Reporting High Opt-Out Rates On State Math Tests
- 2 Nearly 1M Bicycles Recalled After Rider Is Paralyzed
- 3 Bronx River Parkway Closures Planned Thursday, Friday In Westchester
- 4 Taking Extra Vitamins Increases Cancer, Heart Disease Risk, Study Says
- 5 Thunderstorms Could Produce Gusty Winds, Hail In Eastchester