WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Westchester County homeowners who are receiving the Basic STAR property tax exemption are required to register with the New York State Tax Department for their exemption by Tuesday, Dec. 31.
Homeowners will not have to re-rigister every year for their Basic STAR tax exemption.
Online registration on the Tax Department's Web site is fast, easy and takes less than five minutes, officials said.
To register online, homeowners will need:
- A STAR code (Codes were mailed to all Basic STAR recipients; or click here to use the STAR code lookup).
- Provide the names and social security numbers for all owners of the property and spouses.
- Confirmation that the property is the primary residence of one of its owners (married couples with multiple residences may only claim one STAR exemption).
- Confirmation that the combined income of the owners and their spouses who reside at the property does not exceed $500,000.
- Confirmation that no resident owner received a residency-based tax benefit from another state.
For more information, call 518-457-2036.