EASTCHESTER, N.Y. – Gerald "Coach D" De Santis of Eastchester died Oct. 21. He was 69.
De Santis was a former teacher and coach at Tuckahoe High School.
He was born July 31, 1943, in Bronx, N.Y., to Gennaro and Phylis Berardi De Santis. He graduated from Eastchester High School and Iona College and received a master’s degree from Fordham University.
De Santis served in the Army with the 1st Calvary Division in Vietnam, where he earned the Bronze Star, Air Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Purple Heart, Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal and Vietnam Campaign Medal.
He worked as a teacher for Tuckahoe High School from 1972 to 1999 and also coached football and baseball for many years. De Santis was also involved in the Eastchester Little League.
He is survived by three nephews, James (Linda), Brian (Trish) and Edward (Susan) Adams. He was predeceased by a sister, Marian De Santis Adams.
Visitation is from 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday and 2 to 4 p.m. and 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at Westchester Funeral Home in Eastchester. A funeral mass will be celebrated at 10:30 a.m. Thursday at Assumption Church in Tuckahoe. Burial will follow at Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Hawthorne.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Tuckahoe High School, 65 Siwanoy Boulevard, Eastchester, NY 10709.
- 1 Eastchester Father Is Charged In Car Crash That Killed Three
- 2 Eastchester Father, Daughter Facing Charges In Crash That Killed Three Boys
- 3 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 4 Eastchester Police Investigate Series of Home Burglaries
- 5 Three New Eastchester Police Officers Graduate From County Academy