EASTCHESTER, N.Y. – Gerald "Coach D" De Santis of Eastchester died Oct. 21. He was 69.
De Santis was a former teacher and coach at Tuckahoe High School.
He was born July 31, 1943, in Bronx, N.Y., to Gennaro and Phylis Berardi De Santis. He graduated from Eastchester High School and Iona College and received a master’s degree from Fordham University.
De Santis served in the Army with the 1st Calvary Division in Vietnam, where he earned the Bronze Star, Air Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Purple Heart, Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal and Vietnam Campaign Medal.
He worked as a teacher for Tuckahoe High School from 1972 to 1999 and also coached football and baseball for many years. De Santis was also involved in the Eastchester Little League.
He is survived by three nephews, James (Linda), Brian (Trish) and Edward (Susan) Adams. He was predeceased by a sister, Marian De Santis Adams.
Visitation is from 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday and 2 to 4 p.m. and 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at Westchester Funeral Home in Eastchester. A funeral mass will be celebrated at 10:30 a.m. Thursday at Assumption Church in Tuckahoe. Burial will follow at Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Hawthorne.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Tuckahoe High School, 65 Siwanoy Boulevard, Eastchester, NY 10709.
- 1 Vigil Set For Four Women Killed In Crash That Injured Eastchester HS Grad
- 2 10 License Violators In Westchester Fined By State Liquor Authority
- 3 Actor/Director Charged With Possession Of Child Porn, Westchester DA Says
- 4 Two Medical Marijuana Licenses Granted In Westchester
- 5 Jeanine Pirro's Westchester Home Is Listed At $4.99M