EASTCHESTER, N.Y. – Philip E. Jakeway Jr. of Eastchester died Jan. 30. He was 88.
Jakeway was chairman of Wilfred American Educational Corp., which provided career training to more than half a million students nationwide.
Born June 24, 1924, in Kalamazoo, Mich., he was selected to the All-East basketball squad at Villanova University. He earned an master's degree in business administration from the University of Michigan.
Jakeway served as a Navy officer in the Pacific during World War II. He was a Knight in the Sovereign Military Order of Malta and the Order of the Holy Sepulchre. He served as president of the Fathers' Clubs at Iona Preparatory School, School of the Holy Child and the California Ridge Civic Association.
He is survived by his wife, Rita Z. Jakeway; six children, Kathleen J. (Dan) Heist, Laureen M. Jakeway, Philip E. (Denise) Jakeway III, Kevin W. Jakeway, Rita J. Bigelow and Brian M. Jakeway; three siblings, James, Rosemarie and Sandy; 13 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Visitation is from 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday at Fred H. McGrath and Son Funeral Home in Bronxville. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10:30 a.m., Monday, at Immaculate Conception Church in Tuckahoe.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Solving the Mystery of Autism Foundation, 12 James Road, Harrison, NY 10528.
- 1 Police Asking Public's Help In Search For Missing Teen With Medical Needs
- 2 Yonkers Principal Threatens Soccer Dad, Says Report
- 3 Westchester Law Enforcement Assists Bronxville In Burglaries Investigation
- 4 Burglary Suspect Apprehended In Bronxville After Overnight Foot Chase
- 5 Dozens Sickened In Nine States After Salmonella Outbreak