TARRYTOWN, N.Y. – Motorists who feel a little sleepy can pick up free coffee or hot tea on the New York State Thruway Monday night.
A 42-year tradition continues at all of the Thruway travel plazas on New Year's Eve as officials remind motorists to take breaks from driving to prevent sleepiness.
“Sleepiness and fatigue are major contributors to highway accidents,” Thruway Executive Director Thomas Madison said in a statement. “All motorists should put safety first at all times.”
Free coffee and tea will be available from 11 p.m. Monday through 7 a.m. Tuesday at all of the 27 travel plazas because of a partnership with travel plaza operators and the Thruway Authority.
Thruway officials remind motorists that they should only stop on the roadway shoulder in cases of emergency.
- 1 Likely Arrest Of Senate Leader Skelos Tied To Scarsdale Firm, Report Says
- 2 Brody Family Sues Metro-North After Mother's Fatal Collision With Train
- 3 Open Houses In Eastchester This Weekend
- 4 Court's Injunction Stops HUD From Giving Away Grants For Westchester
- 5 Somers Pepsi Site Sells For Nearly $87M; Carlos Slim Said To Be Owner