EASTCHESTER, N.Y. -- Parent volunteers are needed for Building Bridges: Understanding People with Different Abilities Feb. 22 to 26 at William E. Cottle School in Eastchester.
During the week, each of the grades will focus on understanding people with different types of disabilities as follows:
- Kindergartners will get an overview of disabilities.
- First Graders will learn about people with sight impairments.
- Second Graders will learn about hearing impairments.
- Third Graders will focus on Autism.
- Fourth Graders will be learning about people with physical disabilities.
- Fifth Graders will discuss learning disabilities.
The lessons will be given in the children's classrooms and include hands-on, interactive activities to allow them to experience what it is like to live with these differences.
Each grade also will also attend an assembly with a speaker.
Parent volunteers are needed for two to three hours in duration to run the classroom sessions.
Training for 30 to 45 minutes will be provided Feb. 10 at 8:30 a.m. or 7 p.m. at the school.