EASTCHESTER, N. Y. -- As school children start another school year in the Eastchester area, police are reminding motorists and students alike to use caution out on local streets.
Police said thousands of children will be walking to and from school and around buses each day. Children may be distracted with back-to-school excitement and forget to watch traffic.
"Everyone who drives has the responsibility to be especially careful during this busy time for youngsters," Eastchester police said in a statement.
Hundreds of school children are killed nationwide in collisions with cars, and thousands more are injured, police said. In addition to offering warnings for motorists, Eastchester police are passing along basic safety tips for school children from the New York AAA.
- Look in every possible direction before crossing a street.
- Cross at crosswalks and corners.
- Obey safety guards, police and traffic signals.
- Be award of cars making turns.
- Pay particular attention to traffic in bad weather.
- Play as far away from traffic as possible.