EASTCHESTER, N.Y. – Due to the overwhelming number of Eastchester families that remain without heat after Hurricane Sandy, the school district is arranging an after-school homework center for children.
On Wednesday and Thursday this week, students can complete assignments, read books or study in a warm, well-lit area at all district schools.
“Many families in our local community are experiencing the burden of having no heat or electricity,” MaryEllen Byrne, coordinator of public relations, said in a statement. “In the cold days ahead, the district is committed to supporting families as best we can.”
All participants in the program must be picked up no later than 5:30 p.m. Students will not be permitted to walk home because of the tree limbs and downed wires on lawns and sidewalks pose a safety concern.
- 1 Woman Kicks, Spits At Officers During DWI Arrest In Eastchester, Police Say
- 2 Burglary Suspect Apprehended In Bronxville After Overnight Foot Chase
- 3 Schumer Calls For Harsher 'Swatting' Penalties In Eastchester Visit
- 4 Daughter Of Eastchester Man Sentenced In Crash That Killed Three
- 5 Boil Water Advisory In Effect For Eastchester, Tuckahoe