NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. -- Iona College will be honoring Yankees legend Mariano Rivera, his wife, Clara, and business executive Robert LaPenta at the 52nd annual Scholarship Gala on Friday, April 11.
The event will take place in the Grand Ballroom of the Waldorf Astoria New York in Manhattan. A cocktail reception will begin at 7 p.m. and the program will follow at 8 p.m.
Rivera, a 13-time All-Star and five-time World Series champion with the New York Yankees, and his wife will receive the Inaugural Blessed Edmund Rice Humanitarian Award. Rivera was also recently honored at the College of New Rochelle.
Business executive LaPenta, a 1967 graduate of the college who received an honorary doctorate in 2000, will receive the 2014 Legacy Award.
Alfred F. Kelly, a 1980 graduate who received a masters in business administration in 1981, will be master of ceremonies. Kelly most recently served as president and chief executive officer of the NY/NJ Super Bowl Host Committee for Super Bowl XLVII.
Rivera's former New York Yankees teammate Bernie Williams, who received an honorary degree from Iona in 2007, will also be attending.
Event highlights will include include video messages from George Tenet, former director of the Central Intelligence Agency; Maria Bartiromo, Fox Business Network anchor; and Mariano Rivera Jr., a pitcher with the Iona College baseball team.
- 1 NYPD Detective Killed, Driver Injured In Wrong-Way Sprain Brook Crash
- 2 Eastchester Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 3 Former NBA All-Star, New York Knicks Player Anthony Mason Dies At 48
- 4 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits Eastchester
- 5 Suicide Note Left By Former White Plains Police Officer Tops Week's News