EASTCHESTER, N.Y. – Eastchester senior Jon Alkins had an outstanding month during indoor track and field season, earning The Eastchester Daily Voice February Athlete of the Month title.
Alkins was a triple winner at the Section 1 Class B Indoor Track and Field Championships. Alkins won the 55-meter and 300-meter dashes and anchored the 4x400 relay.
In the relay, Alkins, Gabe Perez, Chris Teator and Mike Poletti ran a school record 3:36.21. The quartet won the race by six tenths of a second over Ardsley.
His time in the 300 was 34.13, which is the third-best time in the country this season.
“Jon has had an enormously successful season, and he is a true example of an athlete who works hard day in and day out,” Eastchester coach Bryan Johnson said. “He never gives less than his best during practice, and is incredibly focused both during practices and especially during meets.
“Winning three events at Class B was huge," he said, "and this tops a January in which he won two events at both the League II-D meet and the Westchester County Championships.”
- 1 Missing 14-Year-Old Eastchester Girl Is Found In NYC
- 2 Eastchester Could See Significant Snowfall, Ice From Coastal Storm
- 3 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Eastchester
- 4 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Westchester Sees 6-8 Inches Of Snow
- 5 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Eastchester, Blizzard Watch Issued