EASTCHESTER, N.Y. – The Eastchester school district is set to host a series of presentations to educate students, teachers and parents about substance abuse awareness and prevention strategies and overall wellness.
The eight-part series, which begins in October and runs once each month through May, is to take place at either Eastchester High School on Stewart Place or Eastchester Middle School on White Plains Road, according to the school district.
“As a school district, we strive to be leaders in our community and region in promoting substance abuse awareness and prevention strategies,” said a statement from the district. “We have designed a program that focuses on varied aspects of wellness and substance abuse, from multiple perspectives.”
The series is to feature speakers who are both nationally and internationally known, according to the school district, which noted that November’s scheduled keynote speaker is Chris Herren, a former NBA player who had a brief career in the United States with the Denver Nuggets and Boston Celtics from 1999-2001.
Herren, who has now been clean and sober for nearly a decade, is also author of the book “Basketball Junkie: A Memoir.”
All evening events are scheduled for 7 p.m. The events include:
- Oct. 24: Kick-Off Event with Various Presenters - all are invited
- Nov. 28: "The Rise and Fall of a Basketball Star" - Chris Herren
- Dec. 5 : "The Adolescent Brain Under Stress" - Dr. Michael Nerney
- Jan. 12: "New Year, New You"
- Feb. 27: "A Parent’s Story of Tragedy and Loss" - the Salomone family
- Mar. 20: "Hidden in Plain Sight" - Jermaine Galloway
- Apr. 24: "Prom Safety"
- May 1: "Smart Choices During the Summer Months and After High School" - Dr. Michael Nerney
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.