TUCKAHOE, N.Y. – After the bombing near the finish line at the Boston Marathon last month, Tuckahoe Middle School was forced to postpone its seventh grade trip to Boston.
Rather than cancel the trip, Principal Timothy Mundell announced it will take place June 17 and 18 with extra precautions.
Mundell said the trip was delayed to ensure that Boston has recovered, while the school district would take its own internal measures.
“The plans going forward are specifically aimed at carrying out the trip undeterred by the actions of the terrorists,” he said. “Yet, doing so in a way that provides time for all of us to feel more comfortable that the city of Boston is indeed safe for travel.”
Parents and students expressed concern to the administration about continuing with a trip so soon after terrorist explosions rocked the country. By postponing the trip five weeks, school officials believe they are giving law enforcement enough time to continue the investigation, which would subsequently ensure improved security.
Tuckahoe school security has been added to the chaperone list as an added watchdog. The district has also reached out to each of the venues on the schedule to verify security protocols.
“Hearing from parents and students helped me to understand their needs and how to best meet those needs,” Mundell said. “Safety must be our first priority, and I believe this change is the right step to achieving that goal.”
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.