EASTCHESTER, N.Y. – More than 100 eager high school girls lined up on Sunday morning in Eastchester as they search for the perfect prom dress at Operation PROM’s $1 Dress Sale.
The sale didn’t start until 12 p.m., but that didn’t keep dozens from starting to line up at Lisa Vitiello’s State Farm Insurance agency at around 9 a.m. Those who didn’t get there quickly were out of luck, as dresses jumped off the rack within the first hour.
Noel D’Allacco, the founder of Operation PROM, said that students came from as far south as the Bronx, and that much of the county was represented at the sale.
“We’ve gotten a lot of good press this year, and we partnered with the county executive’s office, so our events are circulating around quickly,” she said. “We probably made between $400 and $500 for the organization.”
More than 400 dresses were sold within the first 45 minutes, more than double last year. Every dollar raised by Operation PROM will be put back into the organization for future events. It also held giveaways in Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, White Plains and Yonkers.
With proms rapidly approaching, this will be the last sale the organization runs in the county. There will be one more giveaway in the state at 11 a.m. next Saturday at Petit Penelope Boutique in Wappinger’s Falls.
Operation PROM will begin collecting dresses for next year’s prom season in October.
- 1 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Eastchester, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 2 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In Eastchester; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 3 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Eastchester
- 4 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Westchester Sees 6-8 Inches Of Snow
- 5 Accidents On Slippery Westchester Roadways Include Jackknifed Trailer