WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- Ralph Waite, a White Plains native and actor best known for his work in the classic family drama, "The Waltons," died on Thursday at age 85, according to an obituary in The New York Times.
Waite portrayed John Walton, the patriarch of a family living in rural Virginia during the Great Depression and World War II. The show ran on CBS from 1972-1981.
Waite reportedly had been in good health and his death took his family and friends by surprise.
- 1 Man, 24, Killed In Sprain Brook Parkway One-Car Crash ID'd
- 2 Westchester Native Killed In Taconic Parkway Crash Was Jungle Explorer
- 3 Woman, Mother Of 8, Dies While In Police Custody In Mount Vernon
- 4 Police Investigating Overnight Home Invasion In New Rochelle
- 5 Vigil Set For Four Women Killed In Crash That Injured Eastchester HS Grad