NEWTOWN, Conn. — The youngest victims of Friday's mass shooting at Newtown's Sandy Hook School had to be identified by photos to protect their parents, the chief medical examiner said Saturday.
"We took picture of their facial features. It's much easier for the families to do it like that, we felt it would be best to do it this way," H. Wayne Carver II, the chief medical examiner said. "You can sort of you can control the situation depending on the photographer and I have a very good photographer."
Carver said the children were wearing "cute kid's stuff."
"They were first graders," he said.
Carver said each victim had been hit "more than once."
"This was a very devastating set of injuries," he said.
Officials said Saturday that all the victims were shot with a long rifle.
The suspect in Friday morning’s massacre, widely identified as 20-year-old Adam Lanza, of Newtown, was found dead inside the school. Twenty-seven people, including 20 children, were killed in the massacre.
- 1 It's A Girl: Westchester's Clintons Are Grandparents As Chelsea Gives Birth
- 2 Mysterious UFO Still Vexes Westchester Police Officer
- 3 Metro-North Reports Rise In Crime
- 4 Tuckahoe Resident Winning $1 Million In Lottery Tops News Last Week
- 5 CDC Warns Respiratory Virus May Be Linked To Mysterious Paralysis