EASTCHESTER, N.Y. -- Friday is the deadline for entries for the $1,000 scholarship contest for Eastchester's Traffic Expo – Kids Safety Day. The Traffic Expo will take place Saturday, May 16.
Traffic Expo is an initiative to get cars to “Slow Down in Our Town.” The Eastchester Civic Associations and The Community Fund have been sponsoring the annual event to make the town safer by promoting traffic and safety awareness, as well as improving the health and wellness of children.
Traffic Expo teaches children about the real-life effects and consequences of distracted or unfocused driving, biking or walking. Traffic Expo offers exhibits, demonstrations and services, including free bike helmets, blood pressure screenings, photo ID and fingerprinting services, car seat and bicycle safety checks.
The committee of the Annual Traffic Expo – Kids Safety Day is again sponsoring a scholarship contest for this year's senior class. All Eastchester High School seniors are eligible to enter. Here are the contest instructions:
- You must be an EHS senior.
- Write a one-page essay or poem of 500-750 words describing something related to personal, traffic, pedestrian or driving safety that you have experienced, learned or think is important. You may refer to safety suggestions or tips, or safety-related messages you have taken from past Traffic Expos.
- No plagiarism, please.
- The winner will be the entry that best expresses what you have observed or learned during your school years, or by coming to Traffic Expo events, to help keep yourselves and others healthy and safe and what you can do to mentor those who follow you. What knowledge can you now impart to town youths?
- Complete an entry form and have it signed by your parent or legal guardian, indicating your understanding of the contest rules.
- Submit the entry form with your essay or poem to your English teacher. The form tells us how to contact you if you win.
- The deadline for contest entries is Friday, May 8. Your signatures on this form constitute a release and understanding that your name or picture may be featured in print and/or television and that the winner will be announced at the Traffic Expo Event on Saturday, May 16, and at the June EHS Senior Recognition Night.
The winning submission will be displayed at Eastchester Town Hall.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.