EASTCHESTER, N.Y. — The Eastchester High School football field was awash with pink-shirted fans and cheerleaders Saturday as the school district and community stood up for cancer awareness while enjoying a sun-drenched Homecoming Day.
The Eastchester football team played well despite losing to unbeaten Somers, 34-21, as the Eagles student body, family and fans honored the Homecoming king, queen and their attendants as well as the school varsity sports teams at halftime.
Somers opened the scoring and led 6-0 late in the first quarter before Eastchester went ahead 7-6 on a 1-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Anthony Gallucci to receiver Fred Hoban. Gallucci played well replacing injured starter Greg DeCarlo. Somers then scored the next 22 points to open a 28-7 lead midway through the third quarter and held on for the win.
Eastchester finished the regular season at 1-6 and Somers completed a perfect 7-0 regular season and will host a Section 1 Class A opening-round playoff game Thursday.
Somers coach Tony DeMatteo won his 299th career game and will go for 300 Thursday at home in the opening game of the Class A playoffs.
- 1 Eastchester Ranked Among New York's Safest Places To Live
- 2 Three Tellers Charged In Identity Theft Bust Involving Westchester Banks
- 3 Respiratory Virus Affecting Children May Have Arrived In Westchester
- 4 Bronxville Attorney Charged With Stealing From Escrow Accounts
- 5 Missing Woman With Dementia Could Be In Westchester