TROY, N.Y. -- Ossining High School's varsity girls basketball team won a second consecutive New York State Public Schools Class AA championship Saturday, beating Cicero-North Syracuse 74-59 at Hudson Valley Community College in Troy.
Super sophomore Shadeen Samuels saved her best game of the season for last. She scored 31 points, including six 3-pointers. Jalay Knowles added 16 for the Pride, who ran their season record to 22-2.
Ossining had a narrow 16-15 edge after one quarter, extended to a 38-27 halftime lead, then exploded in a 19-11 third quarter to pull away. Cicero got no closer than 57-43 in the fourth quarter.
Abby Squirrell had a strong first half with seven points and four rebounds to help build the early lead.
The Pride lost 11 members of last year's state championship team and its leader, University of Connecticut star Saniya Chong, to graduation. Chong was at the game, cheering on her former teammates.
- 1 Multivehicle Accident Reported In Shopping Center In Scarsdale
- 2 Eastchester Mom Debuts Fashion, Lifestyle Blog For Parents
- 3 Woman, 19, Hospitalized After Jump Onto Sprain Brook Parkway
- 4 Female Suspect From Pelham Identified In NJ Bank Theft
- 5 NYC Doctor Is First Person In Area To Test Positive For Ebola