TROY, N.Y. -- Ossining High School's varsity girls basketball team won a second consecutive New York State Public Schools Class AA championship Saturday, beating Cicero-North Syracuse 74-59 at Hudson Valley Community College in Troy.
Super sophomore Shadeen Samuels saved her best game of the season for last. She scored 31 points, including six 3-pointers. Jalay Knowles added 16 for the Pride, who ran their season record to 22-2.
Ossining had a narrow 16-15 edge after one quarter, extended to a 38-27 halftime lead, then exploded in a 19-11 third quarter to pull away. Cicero got no closer than 57-43 in the fourth quarter.
Abby Squirrell had a strong first half with seven points and four rebounds to help build the early lead.
The Pride lost 11 members of last year's state championship team and its leader, University of Connecticut star Saniya Chong, to graduation. Chong was at the game, cheering on her former teammates.
- 1 Woman Kicks, Spits At Officers During DWI Arrest In Eastchester, Police Say
- 2 Burglary Suspect Apprehended In Bronxville After Overnight Foot Chase
- 3 Police Search For Missing Teen With Medical Needs
- 4 Schumer Calls For Harsher 'Swatting' Penalties In Eastchester Visit
- 5 Daughter Of Eastchester Man Sentenced In Crash That Killed Three