TROY, N.Y. -- Ossining High School's varsity girls basketball team won a second consecutive New York State Public Schools Class AA championship Saturday, beating Cicero-North Syracuse 74-59 at Hudson Valley Community College in Troy.
Super sophomore Shadeen Samuels saved her best game of the season for last. She scored 31 points, including six 3-pointers. Jalay Knowles added 16 for the Pride, who ran their season record to 22-2.
Ossining had a narrow 16-15 edge after one quarter, extended to a 38-27 halftime lead, then exploded in a 19-11 third quarter to pull away. Cicero got no closer than 57-43 in the fourth quarter.
Abby Squirrell had a strong first half with seven points and four rebounds to help build the early lead.
The Pride lost 11 members of last year's state championship team and its leader, University of Connecticut star Saniya Chong, to graduation. Chong was at the game, cheering on her former teammates.
- 1 22-Year-Old Drowning Victim ID'd; Former Tuckahoe Superintendent's Stepson
- 2 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 3 Three Hospitalized After Serious I-87 Crash Involving Tractor-Trailer, Car
- 4 Tuckahoe Among Latest Communities To Start Collecting Hotel-Motel Tax
- 5 Gang Members Charged With Murder, Other Felonies In White Plains Court